People with a disability
We aim to make Port Stephens inclusive and accessible for everyone.
Our Social Planning team provides information and advice to Council on supporting an equitable and inclusive community for everyone — including people who experience disability, their carers and family members. This includes:
- improving footpath access and connectivity, such as kerb ramps
- providing accessible parking in the right locations
- access to buildings, amenities and services
- inclusion in decision-making processes.
Disability Inclusion Action Plan
Find out how we support people with a disability.
- Read the Port Stephens Council Disability Inclusion Action Plan (PDF 2MB).
Water wheelchair and beach access ramp
Council offers a disability access ramp at Little Beach, Nelson Bay which provides access to the water via a water wheelchair. The beach boasts lovely golden sand and disability play equipment, making this a perfect spot for families to enjoy the Bay.
MLAK key for public disabled toilets
To obtain a MLAK Key for access to public disability toilets and facilities, please contact us.
Hearing service support
If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service.
- TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for 02 9265 9333
- Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 02 9265 9333
- Internet relay users connect to the NRS then ask for 02 9265 9333
- Video relay users choose the available NRS video relay on Skype and ask for 02 9265 9333
- SMS relay users phone 0423 677 767 and ask for 02 9265 9333.
Disability services in Port Stephens
For a list of local disability services, please view the Port Stephens Community Directory.
A number of Disability Parking spaces are available in the Port Stephens town centres for your convenience.