Council has an obligation to protect the privacy of site users. This statement describes what information is collected, and why.
Users of this site are entitled to expect that any information disclosed will be treated within the terms of the Port Stephens Council privacy responsibilities and obligations. The Port Stephens Council privacy practices are regulated by the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
As a Site User of Port Stephens Council Website, you should be aware of how Council manages your personal information.
What is Personal Information?
Personal Information is any information or opinion about an individual whose identify is apparent or can be readily identified from the information or opinion. The information can be on a database and does not necessarily have to be recorded in a material form. (PPIP Act, Sect 4)
What information do we collect?
When you look at the pages on this site, computers automatically record information that identifies, for each page accessed:
- the IP (Internet Protocol) address of the machine which has accessed it; your top-level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc.);
- the address of your server;
- the date and time of your visit to the site;
- the pages accessed and documents downloaded;
- the previous site visited; and
- the type of browser and operating system you have used.
How do we use the information collected?
The information collected during each visit is aggregated with similar logged information and published in reports in order for Port Stephens Council to identify patterns of usage of the site. This will assist us in improving the site and the services offered on it.
Port Stephens Council will not disclose or publish information that identifies individual computers, or potentially identifies sub-groupings of addresses, without your consent or otherwise in accordance with the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
Is the information stored securely?
Yes. Information collected is stored in an appropriately secure format and held by Port Stephens Council for archival purposes. When the information is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected it is deleted.
Contacting Port Stephens Council by email
If you send a message to Council, your personal details will only be used for the purpose for which you provided them. Your details will not be used for any other purpose, will not be added to a mailing list, nor will they be given to any other organisation or person, unless this is done with your permission.
A complaint or comment made to Council would be recorded on file and, if action is required, the matter would be dealt with as if it was made by other means of communication, ie by mail. Your wishes with regard to handling your personal information will be respected.
On-line submission of forms/information
Personal Information which is submitted on forms will only be used for the purpose for which the information was provided. Each form will state what will happen to your personal information once it is received by Council and how it will be handled. If you have any concerns about this you should contact the Privacy Contact Officer (see below).
Subscription to information by email
If you provide your email address to subscribe to receive information from Council, your name will be added to a database. This information is only used to provide the service you requested and will not be used for any other purpose. Your personal information will not be disclosed without your consent.
Links to other sites
This site contains links to other sites. Port Stephens Council is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of other linked websites.
Electronic mail is not a secure form of communication and we cannot guarantee that your message will not be viewed by someone else when being sent to us. We strongly recommend that you write to us if the information you wish to provide is highly confidential.
Will this policy be updated over time?
Due to the developing nature of privacy principles for online communication, this policy may be modified or expanded in light of new developments or issues that may arise from time to time. The amended policy will be posted to this site and will operate from the time it is posted.
Other Important Information
- Council tracks the pattern of visitor usage using a facility called a cookie. This cookie identifies and recognises the computer (but not the person using the computer) when you visit Council's website.
- Cookies are pieces of information that a website can transfer to an individual's computer hard drive for record keeping.
Links to other Websites
- Council's website contains links to other websites. These linked sites are not under the control of Council.
- Council is not responsible for the management or protection of any personal information you provide to these sites.
- Before disclosing your personal information on any other web-site Council recommends you examine the terms and conditions of using that website.
- Council will take all reasonable steps to protect the privacy of children
- Council asks that children under the age of 18 have a parent or guardian submit personal information on their behalf when required.
Contacting Port Stephens Council online by e-mail
Council will only record your e-mail address if you choose to send a message. It will only be used for the purpose for which you have provided it and will not be added to any mailing list. Council will not use your e-mail address for any other purpose, and will not disclose it without your consent.
Who can you contact if you have any concerns or questions on Privacy?
Port Stephens Council has a Privacy Contact Officer who can be contacted by email, by phone, or by mail to
Privacy Contact Officer
Port Stephens Council
PO Box 42
Raymond Terrace NSW 2324
Phone: 02 4988 0255