What is a Planning Certificate?
Planning Certificates are issued under section 10.7 (formerly section 149) of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979. The matters which must be contained in the Planning Certificate are specified in Schedule 4 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000.
*A planning certificate contains information correct on the day of issue as planning controls may change at any time.
Why do I need a Planning Certificate?
When land is bought or sold, legislation requires a Planning Certificate to be attached to the contract of sale. Another reason is to help an existing owner decide about the uses of their land.
There are two different Planning Certificates available:
- Section 10.7(2) Planning Certificate provides specific information and is a mandatory inclusion in a contract for the sale of land.
- Section 10.7(2) and (5) Planning Certificate provides the same specific information as Section 10.7(2) plus such other information concerning the land that Council may be aware of. The extra information is provided in good faith, and the Council does not incur any liability for information provided.
*It is your responsibility to check that you have accurately identified the land you are requesting a certificate on.
What is the fee?
Council charges a fee for the provision of Planning Certificates. Council's current fees are:
- $66 for a Section 10.7(2) Planning Certificate
- $167 for a Section 10.7(2) and (5) Planning Certificate
How long does it take?
Planning Certificates are normally issued within:
- Two business days for certificates ordered through Council's Online Services.
- Five business days after receipt of the application for certificates ordered through other methods.
Who can apply?
Any person can apply for a Planning certificate.
How do I apply?
Register for Council's Online Services and complete the ordering of a certificate and pay for it securely online. Payments made using a credit card will incur a fee of up to 1%.
Port Stephens Council, PO Box 42, Raymond Terrace NSW 2324
Visit Councils Customer Service Desk at the Port Stephens Council Administration Building: 116 Adelaide Street, Raymond Terrace and pay over the counter during office hours.