Port Stephens has a number of parks and reserves where dogs can exercise off-lead. Click the icons in the map below to find out where they are located.
To enlarge or search the map, click here
The map also contains information regarding prohibited areas.
Please note: All Council reserves that are not off lead or prohibited are dog on lead areas.
Dog owner responsibilities
- If your dog is in a public place, it must be under the effective control of a competent person by means of an adequate chain or lead. The exceptions to this are: dogs exhibited at a show or engaging in obedience or agility trials or a dog secured in a cage or in an approved off-lead area.
- If your dog is being exercised in an approved off lead area it must always be under effective control of a competent person.
- You are not permitted to walk more than 4 dogs at any one time in an on lead or an off lead area.
- Greyhounds that are registered are exempt from wearing a muzzle in a public place (must be on a lead like any other dog). However, a greyhound must wear a muzzle in a declared off-leash area unless it has completed an approved greyhound re-training program and either:
- the greyhound is wearing an approved collar, or
- the person in charge of the greyhound is in possession of a proof of completion card certifying that the greyhound has successfully completed the program.
- If your dog defecates in a public place, it is an offence not to remove the faeces.
- Dogs are prohibited in children's play areas, food preparation/consumption areas, recreation areas, public bathing areas, school grounds, child care centres, shopping areas and wildlife protection areas.