We're planning for the future of our places in a way that makes it easy for you to understand and get involved.
What is a place plan?
Plans that put people and places first. Place plans start with our community – your values and priorities for your place. Together, we identify the unique local character of a place and the ways our community can shape, enhance or protect these aspects.
A place plan is guided by strategic documents – we put a local filter on all of our Council’s existing strategies to make one easy-to-read, action-oriented plan. It also includes analysis of potential opportunities for a place in line with the community’s vision.
Every place is unique and so is every place plan. A place plan may include events and activities, projects and works, actions for community, land use changes and more. A place plan is an easy-to-read plan for the future of a place – it outlines the community's vision for their place and actions to achieve that vision.
Why do we need place plans?
- Plans that put people and places first – it starts with our community's values and priorities for their place. Together, we identify the unique local character of a place and the ways our community can shape, enhance or protect these aspects.
- Creating vibrant places – to improve the liveability and wellbeing of our communities. Place plans help us plan for future programs and services, invest in infrastructure, attract investment and bring life to our streets.
- Empowering our community – our community wants to see action in their town centres, not plans that sit on a shelf. That’s why we’re taking a collaborative approach and working with our community to create great places.
What is the place planning process?
- Place plans start with feedback from Liveability Index to identify what each community values most and your priorities for your place.
- We will seek community input through collaborative workshops to develop a draft plan.
- Our technical experts will use this input to create opportunities for meaningful improvements. We also filter all of our existing strategies into one simple plan for your town.
- We’ll test this draft with the community to get feedback and input.
- A final draft will be endorsed by our Council.
- It’s time for action! As well as actions for our Council, place plans include projects or ideas to create a more vibrant place which will be championed by our community, for our community.
How to get involved
You’re the expert when it comes to your place – we need your local knowledge and passion for your place to help develop a plan and make things happen.
- If you want to get involved in planning for your place, head to our Have Your Say page.
- Download our Place Plan factsheet to learn more (PDF 3.7 MB).
- Contact our Place Planning Project Manager on 4988 0402 or via email on email@example.com
Karuah Place Plan
Future planning at Karuah is focused on driving social wellbeing, creating a more connected town centre, better accessibility to the waterfront and improved community facilities for all to enjoy.