Operating a food business in Port Stephens
Our Council plays an important role in maintaining food safety in Port Stephens by:
- conducting food safety inspections of local food businesses to ensure compliance with relevant food safety legislation
- food safety education initiatives
- investigating of food-related complaints.
Starting a new food business
If you're thinking about starting a food business, you'll need to make sure you understand all of the relevant health, safety, planning and environmental laws. It's a good idea to speak to our team on 02 4988 0255 to make sure you're on the right track.
If you're taking over an existing food business and won't be making any structural changes, please submit the Food Business Registration form
If you will be taking over a food business and making structural changes, or fitting out a food business from scratch, then you will need to lodge a development application.
If you plan to start or sell a food business in Port Stephens, or if your business details have changed, it’s important to let Council know. Simply email email@example.com or complete the Food Business Registration form
- Download Requirements for the establishment, construction and fit out of food premises brochure (PDF 357KB)
Operating a food business
There are many publications and websites to help you operate your food business safely:
- Cleaning and sanitising
- Protecting food from contamination (PDF 197KB)
- Personal hygiene checklist
- Pest prevention and control
- Temperature control
- Food safety supervisor requirements
Food for Port newsletter
Our Environmental Health team address some of the common questions they have been asked recently. Plus a quiz where you can learn some valuable information to help keep your food safe.
- Food for Port 2019 edition (PDF 305 KB)
Frequently asked questions
Yes. You'll need to get permission from the event organiser, who will also notify our Council.
It is important to notify our Environmental Health team of any changes to your business so that your details can be updated on our register. Simply emai firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 4988 0255.
- 5°C or below for cold food
- 60°C or above for hot food.