If you plan to construct a driveway over a footpath, you are required to follow the driveway application process to ensure proper construction of the driveway.
Apply to construct a driveway
Frequently asked questions
The Development Application (DA) approval relates to the section of driveway within your property. The driveway application covers the section from your property boundary to the road.
Yes. Any change to the width, levels or structure of your driveway will need to be approved by Council.
- Your application will be directed to the Facilities & Services Officer (FSO) for your area, who will conduct a site inspection.
- We will send you the approval to proceed, including the relevant standard drawings and any site specific requirements.
- You may now construct your driveway.
- Once complete, call us on 02 4988 0255 to arrange a final inspection.
- We'll send you written confirmation that your driveway is constructed to Council standard or we will call you to discuss what needs to be done to meet that standard.
Yes, please check the box on the application form to indicate you wish to meet on site. The FSO will contact you to arrange a time to meet.
Yes. Unless reinforcement can be proven, footpaths or cycleways that do not have any reinforcement will need to be pulled up and replaced as part of the driveway construction. If this is required, you will be notified in your approval letter.
A minimum width of 3m and maximum width of 4m is allowable. Any requests for wider driveways will be assessed on a case by case basis however there is no guarantee of approval.
Rollover kerbs are allowed however, as part of Council's Disabilities Access Policy, all driveways must have a lipless layback.
Contact your concreter or contractor and have them correct the noncompliance — most local concreters know each Council has an application process and standards that must be adhered to.