Investing in our community
Port Stephens Council is facing increased pressure to provide enhanced services and facilities to meet the high standards our community expects, and to continue to invest in our local area.
While Council has implemented a range of productivity savings, reduced costs and been assessed as financially sustainable by the NSW Government, there are parts of our local government area, which require significant work. To achieve this, Council has applied to the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) for a rate increase, known as a Special Rate Variation (SRV) in 2019.
Council has submitted its application to IPART for a Special Rate Variation. IPART is now accepting submissions until 14 March 2019. Community members can provide a submission through IPART, or by post to Local Government Team, IPART PO Box K35 Haymarket Post Shop NSW 1240.
- 11 February - 14 March 2019 - Public can make submissions to IPART
- 14 May 2019 - IPART announces its determination on Council's application
- July 2019 - If successful, the new rate increase would come into effect
Click on the map above to view full details.
For more information on projects scheduled for future terms, visit the ‘Projects’ section on the right of this page.
SRV of 7.5% per annum for seven years (to remain permanently in place)
Total cumulative increase: 66%
Total estimate of funds raised: $30.9m rate peg plus $71.8m
✔ Town Centre and neighbourhood revitalisation
✔ Sporting facilities upgrade
✔ More funding for libraries and community services
✔ Community amenities - including new BBQ facilities across LGA
✔ More events in Port Stephens
✔ Drainage improvements for Shoal Bay
✔ Substantial road resealing and rehabilitation program
✔ A range of new paths and cycle ways
✔ Arts Centre for Raymond Terrace
- SRV information booklet - January 2019
- Information booklet
- SRV myths busted
- Special Rate Variation Frequently Asked Questions
- Town Centre Revitalisation - Cost Benefit Analysis
- Special Rate Variation Residential Factsheet
- Special Rate Variation Business Factsheet
- Special Rate Variation Farmland Factsheet
- Community Information Sessions