Why work with us?
When you join Port Stephens Council, you’ll be joining an organisation who truly believes that one size doesn’t fit all. We embrace the level of difference that each of our employees bring with them and offer working arrangements that allow you to focus on the things you consider most important to you outside of your career, throughout all stages of your life!
It is no coincidence that in November 2022, Port Stephens Council was named the 2022 LGEA Active Super Employer of Choice and in March 2023, our Health and Wellbeing Program 'PSCare' took out the 2023 Hunter Safety Awards.
Our enterprise agreement
We are committed to being an employer of choice. We offer conditions in our enterprise agreement that exceed the local government standard:
- a flexible work environment
- competitive remuneration for employees
- a focus on attracting and keeping skilled employees
- incentives and rewards for our employees
- a user-friendly and flexible workplace.
- Port Stephens Council Enterprise Agreement 2022-2025 (PDF 2.5 MB)
Benefits of working at PSC
We understand the importance of rewarding employees for their efforts. Our benefits are designed to take care of all of you — helping you keep physically, emotionally, financially and socially healthy. Some of the additional incentives we offer are:
- competitive pay and rewards — as well as competitive salaries and superannuation, all positions offer a retention allowance
- professional development — through educational assistance, training and professional membership support
- Employee Assistance Program — access to a professional, confidential counselling service for you and your immediate family
- corporate uniform — all staff have access to a modern corporate uniform, while employees in our customer service team will be provided with an annual corporate clothing allocation
- discounted corporate fitness membership — access to a broad range of gyms across Port Stephens and beyond
- long service leave — qualify for long service leave after 5 years of service
- flexible working arrangements — including Flexitme, rostered days off, 4 day weeks, 9 day fortnights and job share
- additional annual leave — purchase up to 12 months of additional paid leave
- community volunteer leave — 2 days paid leave per year to volunteer in community-based organisations
- parental leave — 12 weeks paid leave from PSC plus Federal Government Paid Parental Leave scheme (extended to include men if primary care giver), plus paid supporting parent leave of 1 week at time of birth which is not deducted from other leave entitlements.
Veterans Employment Program
At Port Stephens Councils (PSC) we recognise the unique skills and attributes demonstrated by veterans in their service to our country. We value these same skills and attributes in serving our local community.
We have partnered with the Veterans Employment Program to support veterans finding suitable, sustainable and meaningful employment.
The Veterans Employment Program, developed in collaboration with the NSW Office for Veterans Affairs and United Services Union, provides dedicated advice and guidance to both veterans and employing managers about matching skill sets, supporting veterans through the recruitment process, as well as providing tailored feedback to ex-service personnel.
Resources include a detailed 'Rank to Grade Guide', aimed at helping veterans and hiring managers understand how Australian Defence Force skills and experience align with local government jobs, a dedicated guide to preparing job applications and resources to assist through the recruitment process.
For more information on the NSW Government Veterans Employment Program, visit vep.veterans.nsw.gov.au.