Spencer Park, Soldiers Point
Budget and timeframe
|Expected start month||Expected completion month||Status||Budget||Contribution|
This project will include:
- Demolishing existing public amenities and constructing new amenities
- New sewer connection to public amenities and tennis club building
- A concrete pathway link from existing eastern pathway to tennis club building
- Relocate gate access to tennis club
- Demolish existing 4 picnic tables, including slabs. Install 4 new picnic settings with concrete slabs
- Demolish existing BBQ and construct new electric BBQ with shelter
Council will fund the replacement of the public amenities block. A NSW Government Stronger Communities Fund grant has been secured for an upgrade of the playspace, picnic tables and electric BBQ.
- View: Media Release
3 November 2023
The proposed park upgrades have been deferred indefinitely following advice from Heritage NSW. As the works are proposed within the Soldiers Point Aboriginal Place, archaeological investigations are required prior to construction which will result in a significant cost increase and time extension to deliver the works.
Our team is continuing with the archaeological investigations necessary to obtain a permit for construction. We’re expecting approvals to be obtained in late 2024. Once approval is obtained, Council will continue to deliver the project as resources allow.
We appreciate your understanding as we navigate the approvals process and look forward to delivering the works in the future.
24 March 2023
We’ve been advised by the Department of Planning (Heritage Office) that the approval process to undertake works on a site identified as an Aboriginal Place, has changed. Spencer Park is recognised as part of an Aboriginal Place in Soldiers Point.
Although we submitted an application for Spencer Park last year, and the assessment was underway, the changes to the process mean the Spencer Park project will now be delayed.
We will continue to work with the Department in planning for these works and will update the community when the revised timeline is known.