Young people are the future of Port Stephens. We support our local youth by creating opportunities to get together, connect with local community groups and agencies, and have a say in decisions that affect them.
Youth Advisory Action Panel
Our Youth Advisory Panel (YAAP) provides an opportunity for local young people to contribute to decision-making in Port Stephens. Our YAAP members:
- help Council find out about important issues for young people and advise how these can be addressed
- help develop local projects for young people
- comment on Council plans and strategies
- represent Council at youth events.
If you're aged 15 to 25 and you want to make Port Stephens a better place for young people, you're invited to join the YAAP!
Want to join? Email email@example.com
YAAP re-launch Nights
Our new strategy was created in close consultation with young people. The research conducted helped us identify 4 emerging priorities that inform the action plan for the future:
- Be heard and involved: young people want to be involved in decision making processes
- Connected and belonging: for young people this is paramount to their wellbeing
- Ready and have pathways to success: access to information and innovation is critical
- Healthy and happy: strong local networks of support are necessary
- View our Youth Strategy.
A common theme during consultation was the need for connection — online, support and social. We've turned these into a series of postcards to advocate for a dedicated youth space, with the help of artist Nick Stuart.
- Check out the snapshot of our consultation on the Youth Strategy