Dog park maps
Port Stephens has numerous parks and reserves where dogs may be exercised off-lead. Find out where you can exercise your dogs on or off lead and the dog prohibited areas.
Responsibilities of dog owners
- If your dog is in a public place, it must be under the effective control of a competent person by means of an adequate chain or lead. The exceptions to this are: dogs exhibited at a show or engaging in obedience or agility trials or a dog secured in a cage or in an approved off-lead area.
- If your dog is being exercised in an approved off lead area it must always be under effective control of a competent person.
- You are not permitted to walk more than 4 dogs at any one time in an on lead or an off lead area.
- Greyhounds must be muzzled at all times when in a public place, except if the greyhound has successfully completed an approved greyhound retraining program and the greyhound wears an approved collar when it is a public place.
- If your dog defecates in a public place, it is an offence not to remove the faeces.
- Dogs are prohibited in children's play areas, food preparation/consumption areas, recreation areas, public bathing areas, school grounds, child care centres, shopping areas and wildlife protection areas.