Local Housing Strategy
Live Port Stephens
Our Local Housing Strategy, Live Port Stephens (PDF 3.8MB), provides the strategic direction for future housing in our area. It aims to:
- ensure suitable land supply
- improve housing affordability
- increase the diversity of housing choice
- facilitate liveable communities.
Council adopted the Local Housing Strategy on 14 July 2020. We are now creating a plan for when we will complete the actions in the strategy, called an Implementation and Delivery Plan.
To meet projected housing demand in the Greater Newcastle Metropolitan Plan 2036, the strategy encourages more housing in key locations that are well connected to employment, education, open spaces, transport and services. We will also facilitate more greenfield and rural residential development in key locations.
Key focus areas
The Local Housing Strategy has 4 outcomes and 12 planning priorities.
1. Ensure suitable land supply
- ensure adequate supply of new housing
- remove barriers to unlock housing supply
- increase the proportion of infill housing
2. Improve housing affordability
- respond to housing stress
- provide more affordable housing near jobs
- reduce the cost of new housing
3. Increase diversity of housing choice
- facilitate new housing within existing urban areas
- encourage a range of housing types and sizes
- enable better planning for diverse lifestyles
4. Facilitate liveable communities
- housing enhances local character
- communities are connected
- grow connections between people
Council repealed the Port Stephens Planning Strategy after it adopted the Port Stephens Local Strategic Planning Statement and the Local Housing Strategy.
Strategic Planning team