COVID-19 business support
To help businesses during COVID-19, we have established a business support service to provide information on government support, advice and professional services.
Help to operate your business safely
Here are some frequently asked questions for businesses operating during COVID-19.
- Have a COVID Safe Plan in place — It’s strongly recommended all businesses have an up-to-date COVID Safe Plan in place. For some businesses it is mandatory. It provides you and your customers the confidence that you are doing all you can to help stop the spread of COVID-19. First, see what you can and can't do under the rules and familiarise yourself with the public health order. Once completed, you can register your business as COVID Safe.
- Use the NSW Government QR code — Once you’re registered as COVID Safe, you can access the NSW Government QR code This makes it quick and easy for customers, staff, delivery drivers and contractors to check in and plays a vital role for contact tracers if an outbreak was to occur. For some businesses this is mandatory.
- Practise COVID safe behaviours and get vaccinated — COVID safe behaviours are just as important as ever. Wash or sanitise hands regularly, wear a mask, and importantly, get vaccinated as soon as it is your turn. Staff must self-isolate and get tested immediately if unwell even with mild symptoms, then follow the health advice on when they should return to work.
- Safe Work Australia also has a range of COVID-19 checklists to help you keep your workers safe and limit the spread of coronavirus in the workplace. They cover everything from physical distancing and cleaning, to monitoring symptoms and planning ahead.
- Our Environmental Health Officers are currently helping food and drink businesses to complete COVID Safe plans. If you need assistance, please email email@example.com
- If you own or operate a food business, we also recommend NSW Food Authority and Food Standards Australia New Zealand which have specific COVID-19 information for food businesses.
- calculate the area of the room (length of room in metres x width of room in metres = area of room in square metres)
- divide the area of the room by 2 or 4 (depending on your location).
- being notified by public health authorities
- an employee or other contractor notifying them that they have been diagnosed.
- Isolate the person to prevent the spread.
- Call the National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080 for advice.
- Ensure the person has transport either home or to a medical facility, if necessary.
- Clean and disinfect.
- Identify and tell close contacts.
- Review risk management controls in consultation with your workers.
- Visit Safe Work Australia for in-depth information on what to do if you reasonably suspect someone at work has COVID-19.
If you're experiencing financial hardship as a result of COVID-19, please contact your bank or creditors immediately. Most will to proactively work with you towards a solution.
- The NSW Government has announced a new COVID-19 support package for business
- Business.gov.au has information about reviewing your finances, business continuity plans, marketing your business and other ways to keep your business going during COVID-19.
- Australian Government financial assistance, including Jobkeeper
- Advice and assistance from the NSW Government
- Fee waivers and tax assistance from the NSW Government
- How Australian banks are helping small business
- Coronavirus SME Guarantee Scheme offers cash flow relief
- Access resources for the public and industry about COVID-19 — including home isolation and care, information for travellers, parents, aged care residents, employers, transport and hotel industries.
- Access information about masks — when to wear a mask, how to wear a mask, how to make a mask and more.
COVID-19 Vaccinations and the Workplace Employer GuideThe Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry has released a new guide for employers on how to approach the COVID-19 vaccination with employees. Download the guide.
Destination Port Stephens is committed to supporting the tourism sector during this difficult time. Access Destination Port Stephens' resources for local businesses.
Hints, tips and ideas
- Try and keep it local as much as possible. If you are shopping online, consider buying from local businesses before you use the big online platforms. Similarly, if your household or business will benefit from the economic stimulus package, please think about spending or investing that money within the region where you can.
- Can you deliver your services online? Learn how to host an online event or webinar that live event attendees will love.
- If staff are underutilised, can they take advantage of an online learning or professional development opportunity while away from the office? Learn something new online for free — try FutureLearn and EDX and University of Newcastle.
- Check out the myriad of podcasts on offer. Try The Company You Keep.
- AusIndustry — Tim Cotter (Regional Manager) firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Business Centre, Newcastle Region — Martin McKenzie (Business Advisor) email@example.com
- AusTrade — Sharon Foster (Senior Export/Tradestart Advisor Central Coast & Hunter) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Running a Home Business This information has been developed as part of the NSW Government's Easy to Do Business initiative and is provided to help you start and run a flourishing business. It will also assist with transitioning when your business outgrows your home.
- Industry Capability Network contact Dusko Bajic (Business Development Hunter) DBajic@icnnsw.org.au
- Regional Development Australia (RDA) – Hunter
- Hunter Research Foundation
- Newcastle Innovation - Industry Development Centre
- HunterNet Co-operative Limited
- Federal Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- Federal Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
- Federal Fair Work Commission
- Hunter Local Land Services
- Intellectual Property Australia
- NSW Environment Protection Agency
- NSW Department of Industry
- NSW Small Business Commissioner
- Safe Work NSW
- Hunter River High (Heatherbrae) 4987 2306
- Mick Lee email@example.com
- Irrawang High School (Raymond Terrace) 4987 4687
- Justin Tonks firstname.lastname@example.org
- Medowie Christian School (Medowie) 4981 7177
- Lindy Martens Lindy.Martens@medowiecs.nsw.edu.au
- St Phillips' Christian College (Salamander Bay) 4919 5400
- Wendy Sunol email@example.com
- Tomaree High School (Salamander Bay) 4981 1444
- Kyle McElwain firstname.lastname@example.org