Housekeeping LEP Planning Proposal and Gateway Determination
The planning proposal seeks to amend the Port Stephens Local Environmental Plan 2013 (LEP) to give effect to the Port Stephens Local Strategic Planning Statement (LSPS) and Port Stephens Local Housing Strategy (Live Port Stephens), adopted by Council on 14 July 2020. The proposal also includes various ‘housekeeping’ amendments to address minor administrative matters.
The planning proposal will:
- Update the aims of the Port Stephens Local Environmental Plan (LEP);
- Correct an error to enable exceptions to minimum lot sizes for attached dwellings;
- Correct an error to ensure dwelling entitlements are retained for allotments that have been the subject of a boundary adjustment under the LEP;
- Remove redundant provisions relating to the conversion of serviced apartments;
- Remove redundant provisions relating to development at Boundary Road, Medowie;
- Remove redundant provisions relating to development at Medowie Road, Medowie;
- Clarify that environmental protection works are permitted with consent in the neighbourhood centre zone;
- Clarify that flood mitigation works are permitted without consent in the public recreation zone;
- Align the land use prohibitions in the commercial core zone with all other commercial zones by prohibiting single dwelling houses;
- Clarify that caravan parks are prohibited in residential and business zones:
- Permit child care centres with consent in the rural landscape zone to implement an action in Live Port Stephens;
- Allow temporary events on Council managed land, schools and places of public worship as exempt development to implement an action in Live Port Stephens
- Allow signage on sports fields as exempt development to implement an action in the Port Stephens Recreation Strategy
A Gateway determination was received from the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment (DPIE) on 16 August 2021. Port Stephens Council is authorised as the local plan-making authority.
It will be on exhibition from 26 August 2021 to 9 September 2021.
- Due to current COVID-19 restrictions this policy is only available online below
Submissions are invited and can be lodged in writing to the General Manager at Port Stephens Council until 5pm 9 September 2021:
Please quote file number 58-2020-1-1 with your submission. Submissions may be made in any format, which is able to be sent via email and is less than 10MB in size. This may include a video file or audio voice recording in addition to more traditional written format.
Please phone Emily Riley (Senior Strategic Planner – Growth and Infrastructure) on 4988 0386