COVID-19 community support
Last updated: 26 Oct 2020 8:47am
We know our community is continuing to be impacted by COVID-19. We're working with our community sector partners to make sure people in Port Stephens are getting the support they need during this difficult time.
We've also pulled together a list of useful support services across a range of areas below. There is help out there — we encourage you to reach out if you need it.
Local support services
Given these fast changing times, it’s likely that this service provision will change. We are regularly checking in with service providers and keeping information as up to date as possible.
- Services: Youth
- Details: Now offering a mix of in person, phone and online appointments
- Contact: Maitland 02 4931 1000 or Newcastle 02 4929 4201
- Services: Youth
- Details: Face to face appointments now available
- Contact: 0490 716 265
- Details: Operating as normal, staff filling volunteer roles
- Contact: Integrated Living — 1300 782 896 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Details: Free weekly meal home delivery for anyone in need of food support. DARA Community Kitchens at Raymond Terrace and Nelson Bay are closed.
- Contact: Register at dara.org.au/home-delivery or call 02 4979 1339.
- Details: Payment support plans for COVID-affected residents and businesses
- Details: Doors are closed, no playgroups running, contacting families and dropping off activity packs
- Financial assistance available
- Homelessness support
- Contact: 02 4987 1331 or visit Family and Neighbourhood Centre on Facebook for up to date information.
- Details: Doors are closed to public, emergency relief assessment over the phone with collection at the door of the centre
- Information, referral and advocacy available and crisis support for grocery items
- Energy accounts payment assistance — assessment over the phone
- Contact: 02 4984 6220
- Details: Rough sleeper support — free accommodation, 24 hour support line
- Contact: 1800 718 207
- Services: Relationship services, counselling, family support
- Contact: 1300 473 528
- Details: Family stores have reopened, not taking donations.
- Emergency welfare assistance over the phone, vouchers being posted out.
- Contact: 1300 371 288
- Details: Food, fuel, clothing, household goods and expenses emergency support.
- Contact: 02 4981 4835 — Nelson Bay area servicing up to Anna Bay
- Contact: 02 4961 6885 — for those West of Anna Bay. Someone should get back to you the next working day
- Details: Suspended Community Solutions Day Programs, otherwise operational
- Contact: 1300 372 121 or email@example.com
- Details: Offices closed to the public, appointment service
- For anyone at risk of homelessness or requiring assistance with services, call 02 9722 4300 and dial option 4 from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
- Contact: 02 9722 4300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Repairs: 02 9727 0688 or email email@example.com
- After hours and weekends: Link2Home on 1800 152 152
- Services: Housing, counselling or assistance related to domestic violence or care packs
- Details: Office closed, counselling via appointment over the phone or online
- Clients can access hampers on Monday and Thursday from 1 to 3pm. No entry to centre, must ring doorbell.
- Contact: 02 4984 2176 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Details: Office remains open but activities including Sand Dune Adventures are closed.
- Providing support for Worimi LALC members.
- Contact: 02 4033 8800
- Details: Providing support for Karuah LALC members.
- Contact: 02 4997 5733 or email@example.com
National support and resources
- Details: 24 hour crisis support chat (phone, webchat and text)
- Resources for mental health and wellbeing
- Contact: 13 11 14
- Details: Phone and online counselling for anyone who is suicidal or concerned about someone
- Contact: 1300 659 467
- Details: Online and phone counselling
- Kid friendly online tools for coping
- Contact: 1800 551 800
- Details: Phone crisis counselling and referral service for women
- Contact: 1800 65 64 63
- Details: LGBTI peer support and referral
- Webchat and phone
- Contact: 1800 184 527
- Details: Pharmacy home deliver service for vulnerable groups
- Contact: Call your local pharmacy and ask
- Details: Up-to-date information for NDIS recipients
- Easy to read resources
- Contact: 1800 800 110
- Services: Community sector support
- Details: Online resources available for community organisations
- Details: Online resource for older Australians, their family and friends