Government Road, Sandy Point Road and Bagnall Beach Road Nelson Bay
|Expected start month||Expected completion month||Status||Budget||Contribution|
|April 2023||May 2023||Scheduled||$521k|
This project is 100% funded by the Federal Blackspot Grant.
Government Road, Nelson Bay is a sub arterial, two way two lane road connecting Salamander Bay/Corlette to Nelson Bay. It has a high number of residential frontages and bus routes as well as high increases in traffic with seasonal visitors.
This section of road has had a high number of rear end crashes and run off road with speeding identified as an issue. This has been recognised to be a result of a combination of factors which include steep grades, heavily treed waterfront areas and gaps in residential sections.
Community/resident complaints have been received regarding access to public transport and crossing safety within undulating geography which affects sight distance.
Project Aims and Objectives
- Install formalised points for pedestrians to cross Government Road to access Nelson Bay Foreshore from a school and residential premises.
- Upgrade the existing road surface, signage and line marking, to reduce the number of future vehicle collisions.
- Improve the safety along Government Road and Sandy Bay Road at Nelson Bay by installing traffic calming devices and pedestrian refuges, and improving road surfacing, line marking and signage.
- Widened double centreline along a section of Government Road
- Roundabout island adjustment at the intersection of Government Road, Sandy Point Road and Bagnall Beach Road – to improve the north bound lane entry into the roundabout on Bagnall Beach Road
- Upgrade road surface on the steep hills to a nonskid surface
- Install raised reflective pavement markers
- Upgrades to signage and linemarking for entire length of works on Sandy Point Road and Government Road - from Pantowara Street to Thompson Place
- Install pedestrian refuge island and kerb blisters (both sides of road) where a footpath connects Government Road through to Bagnall Beach opposite 165 Government Road, and upgrade lighting
- Install kerb blisters (both sides) and footpath linkups on Government Road near 102 Government Road
- Install kerb extensions (both sides) on Government Road where the path connection runs between 70 and 72 Government Road
29 May 2023
This week saw the next upgrade areas achieve concrete pours on upgraded footpath, ramps and new kerb and gutter.