Port Stephens Koala Sanctuary
Port Stephens Council, in partnership with Port Stephens Koalas and the NSW Government, has created a unique and innovative Koala Sanctuary to ensure first-class care to sick, injured and orphaned koalas.
Opening 26 September 2020, the Koala Sanctuary will offer visitors a unique opportunity to see koalas in their natural habitat. It will also support their long‑term rehabilitation and preservation.
Visitors to the Sanctuary will enjoy:
- unique experiences with Koalas in a natural and idyllic bushland setting
- tailored education sessions from local guides on koala care, rehabilitation and eventual return back to the wild
- a new opportunity to directly contribute to the preservation of local koalas in Port Stephens.
We're planting 5000 trees thanks to Greater Bank
We're thrilled to be partnering with Greater Bank to enhance the unique natural ambiance and bushland within the Port Stephens Koala Sanctuary.
Greater Bank are donating 5000 trees to encourage the proper conservation and management of areas of natural vegetation that provide habitat for koalas. View the impact.
About the Sanctuary
The Koala Sanctuary includes:
- Koala Centre — visitor admissions and guest reception
- Sanctuary Story Walk — offering visitors an immersive experience of the koala habitat
- Koala Hospital — visitors will be given direct access to the hospital via a purpose-built viewing window
- Newcastle Airport SKYwalk and elevated viewing platform — offering a unique treetop perspective into the koala’s natural habitat, a perfect photo opportunity
- Fat Possum Café — offering a range of ‘grab and go’ eats and treats, great coffee and a range of quality souvenirs in a tranquil bushland setting
- Deluxe 4 star accommodation — guests will be able to wake up with the koalas by staying in onsite four star glamping tents.
562 Gan Gan Rd, One Mile NSW 2316
The Port Stephens Koala Sanctuary opens to the public from 9am Saturday 26 September 2020. Our opening hours will be:
- Monday to Sunday from 9am to 5pm