The Foreshore of Port Stephens is a much used and loved asset within the community. The Foreshore Management Plan aims to address the sustainable use of the foreshore that supports commercial and recreational activities while still preserving ecological values for generations.
The plan provides a coordinated approach for more than 250km of foreshore which is located across two Local Govt Areas with separate planning controls. With increasing pressure on the foreshore through population growth and an expanding tourism industry, the plan identifies and assesses potential threats to the foreshore and suggests management actions.
It aims to preserve the foreshore and for most people the implementation of the plan will have a positive effect by improving foreshore access and safety, visual amenity, recreational facilities, ecological integrity and the health of the waterway. Some people may feel that a number of areas are no longer available for certain uses or that the plan has negative implications, decisions on the plan's implementation will be made with the communities best interests in mind.
Download the plans:
- Foreshore Management Plan Aug 2009 Appendix (PDF 1.8MB)
- Foreshore Management Plan Aug 2009 Part1 (PDF 3.4 MB)
- Foreshore Management Plan Aug 2009 Part2 Section1 (PDF 8.9MB)
- Foreshore Management Plan Aug 2009 Part2 Section 2 (PDF 10.2MB)
- Foreshore Management Plan Aug 2009 Part2 Section 3 (PDF 9.2MB)
- Foreshore Management Plan Aug 2009 Part3 (PDF 418.3Kb)
- Foreshore reference document (PDF 25MB)
Customer Support Officer, Strategy & Environment
Phone: (02) 4988 0255
Fax: (02) 4987 3612