Local Environment Plan
The aim of the Port Stephens Local Environmental Plan 2013 (LEP) is to provide the statutory framework for planning within the Port Stephens local government area. It provides planning and environmental control over the use and development of land, in order to uphold and promote the objectives of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (EP&A Act).
The most recent version of the LEP is available on the NSW legislation website that is maintained by NSW Parliamentary Counsel.
- View the Port Stephens Local Environmental Plan 2013
- View the Port Stephens Local Environmental Plan 2013 Map Index
- Note: To understand the map types and map identification numbers, please see the Grid Map Index Sheet (PDF 1 MB)
Request to Amend the LEP
A legislative process is followed to request an amendment to the LEP in accordance with the EP&A Act. A request to amend the LEP is also known as a rezoning application or planning proposal. Requests to amend the LEP are to be consistent with strategic plans prepared by the NSW Government and Council including:
- the Hunter Regional Plan 2036;
- the Greater Newcastle Metropolitan Plan 2036;
- the Port Stephens Planning Strategy;
- any applicable sub-strategy prepared by Council; and
- any other relevant legislative or planning policy documents.
Note: Requests to amend the LEP that are inconsistent with adopted strategic plans will require further detailed justification.
- Planning proposal template - use this template if you are looking to amend the LEP through a rezoning request and need to prepare a planning proposal.
The process involves a number of steps outlined below.
The LEP process is also used for the reclassification of Council owned land. For information relating to reclassification of Council owned land, please discuss with Council's Property Services Section in the first instance. Please refer to the Acquisition and Divestment of Land Policy on our Policies page.
What you'll need
To initiate an amendment to the LEP you will need to complete the Pre‑lodgement Amendment Assessment Panel meeting form that is available on our A-Z forms page to arrange a meeting with a Strategic Planner and the Pre-lodgement Amendment Assessment Panel.
To lodge your proposal you will need to complete the request to Request to amend Local Environmental Plan form from our A-Z forms page in accordance with the advice received from the Pre-lodgement Amendment Assessment Panel. The planning proposal must be prepared in accordance with the NSW Department of Planning and Environment's Guide to preparing planning proposals.
Fees - Each stage of the process carries an associated fee in accordance with with Council's Fees and Charges Schedule.
Planning Proposal Tracking System
The Department of Planning and Environment has an electronic system that allow users to track the progress of a planning proposal and view documents associated with its assessment.
Port Stephens Development Control Plan
The Port Stephens Development Control Plan 2014 (DCP) contains planning provisions, which provide further guidance to those provisions under the LEP. Both the LEP and DCP are key matters for consideration when Council is assessing development under s79C of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979. Read more about the Port Stephens Development Control Plan.
Previous LEP maps
The following LEP maps relate to certain sites having potential dwelling entitlements. Please note, some of these maps are large in file size and will take a little while to open.
- Map 1 - 1987 Local Environmental Plan - Seaham (PDF 19.3MB)
- Map 2 - 1987 Local Environmental Plan - Williamtown (PDF 18MB)
- Map 3 - 1987 Local Environmental Plan - Fullerton Cove (PDF 16.3MB)
- Map 4 - 1987 Local Environmental Plan - Tomaree (PDF 16.2MB)
- Map 5 - 1987 Local Environmental Plan - Raymond Terrace (PDF 19.4MB)
- Map 6 - 1987 Local Environmental Plan - Medowie (PDF 18.3MB)
- Map 7 - 1987 Local Environmental Plan - Tanilba Bay (PDF 17.2MB)
- Map 8 - 1987 Local Environmental Plan - Salamander Bay (PDF 17.8MB)
- Map 9 - 1987 Local Environmental Plan - Anna Bay (PDF 17.2MB)
- Map 10 - 1987 Local Environmental Plan - Nelson Bay (PDF 20.9MB)