Workplace satisfaction reaps rewards for Port Stephens Council
Publish Date 11/11/2014
Port Stephens Council's reputation as a great place to work continues to gather momentum with recognition as one of NSW's leading local government employers among its industry peers.
Port Stephens Council was short-listed as one of only three finalists in the 2014 Local Government NSW Award for Excellence in Human Resources Management.
Council's eligibility for the award was based on its significant contribution to the enhancement of human resources management practices in the local government sector through demonstrated leadership, innovation and/or high achievement.
Michelle Gilliver-Smith, Organisation Development Manager at Council, said there had been an orchestrated move to change a workplace culture of disengagement and dissatisfaction.
"We were a finalist in the inaugural awards in 2012 and we are thrilled to have again made the short list," she said.
"Our entry demonstrated the Organisation Development team's work to help transform Port Stephens Council to a vibrant organisation with minimal staff turnover, a highly effective employer brand, high customer satisfaction and industrial harmony."
The latest accolade joins a growing list for the Organisation Development team, which has racked up an impressive trophy cabinet in the past year, including:
- 2013 Commendation - StateWide Mutual Risk Management Excellence
- 2013 Finalist AHRI Award for Workplace Relations
- 2013 Winner - Australian HR Awards Employer of Choice (NFP and Public Sector)
- 2013 Winner - State Cover Mutual Limited Work Health and Safety Excellence Award
- 2014 Honourable Mention StateCover"s WHS Excellence Awards for development of competency-based training for working near overhead and underground utilities
- 2014 Winner - Rotary Pride of Workmanship Award Corporate Risk Management team
- 2014 Winner - Government Australian Communications Awards for Best Digital Communication Campaign
- 2014 Winner - Leadership and Management Excellence Local Government Professionals Australian NSW
- 2014 Finalist Australian HR Awards Best Employee Value Proposition
- 2014 Finalist LGNSW HR Excellence Award
Hunter's Hill Council was popularly voted as the winner by delegates at the Local Government Human Resources Conference on Friday, 7 November.