Investing in our community
Port Stephens Council is facing increased pressure to provide enhanced services and facilities to meet the high standards our community expects. In recent years, Council has implemented a range of productivity savings, reduced costs across our operations and been assessed as financially sustainable by the NSW Government.
However, our community is telling us they want more investment in their local area. There are parts of our local government area which require significant work and to achieve this, Council is considering an application to the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) for a Special Rate Variation (SRV) in 2019.
Tuesday 9 October - The proposed SRV community consultation was tabled at Council.
At this meeting, Council endorsed a decision to proceed with an application to IPART for a rate increase of 7.5% per annum (including rate peg) over a seven-years, to be a permanent increase which will be retained within the rate base.
At this meeting, it was resolved to:
- Note the outcomes of community consultation for a proposed Special Rate Variation
- Notify the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal of its intention to apply for a Special Rate Variation.
- Endorse the development of the Integrated Planning and Reporting documents for further consideration.
- November - December 2018 Public exhibition of revised Integrated Planning and Reporting documents.
- January 2018 - February 2019 Council reviews community feedback
- 11 February 2019 Council submits application to IPART.
- March 2019 Public submissions to IPART close.
- May 2019 IPART announces its determination on Council's application.
- July 2019 If successful, the new rate increase would come into effect.
If successful, this proposed rate increase will provide additional funds to deliver major projects requested by the community - stimulating local economies, driving business growth, attracting visitors and enhancing our region for the benefit of all.
We are conducting a comprehensive community consultation process from late July, presenting the community with a range of options to consider and provide feedback on. Our community will have a major say in any application made to the State Government.
Together we are investing in our community.
Option Three: Extend - SRV of 7.5% per annum for 7 years - Council endorsed
Total cumulative increase: 66%
Total estimate of funds raised: $30.9m rate peg plus $71.8m
✔ Town Centre and neighbourhood revitalization
✔ Sporting facilities upgrade
✔ More funding for libraries and community services
✔ Community amenities - including new BBQ facilities across LGA
✔ More events in Port Stephens
✔ Drainage improvements for Shoal Bay
✔ Substantial road resealing and rehabilitation program
✔ A range of new paths and cycle ways
✔ Arts Centre for Raymond Terrace