Economic data and advice
The Economic Development unit plays an important role in Council's strategic planning approach, providing input into land use planning, town centre strategies as well as guiding informed decision making through the provision of detailed economic data.
Providing referrals, advice and direction to a range of stakeholders both internal and external, the Economic Development unit assists with economic impact assessments and economic analysis using REMPLAN, an online economic modelling and planning system.
REMPLAN provides valuable insights into the Port Stephens economy including detailed demographic data based on Census information, economic data and maps on industry sectors as well as population and employment forecasts. The economic data provides comprehensive information about workforce characteristics, industry contributions, the role of tourism and gaps in local supply chains. The public can access REMPLAN from Council's website including:
- The Economic Profile – population, employment, gross regional product, industries, tourism, workers and economic trends.
- The Community Profile – population, migration, families, education, work, housing and local trends.
- Port Stephens Gross Regional Product (GRP) is estimated at $3.99 billion representing 9.2% of the Hunter Region's GRP of $43.32 billion.
- Port Stephens total output is $9.76 billion.
- Manufacturing is the major contributor to output in Port Stephens generating 43.4% of total output.
- Port Stephens has 4,544 businesses.
- The major employment industries include manufacturing, public administration and safety (includes defence), retail trade, and accommodation and food services; collectively employing 56% of the 22,689 people working in the area.
- Port Stephens attracts on average 1.3 million visitors per year and generates in excess of $335 million for the local economy.
Economic Development assists with requests for local economic data and information. Council's Economic Development unit can be contacted via email at email@example.com or by phoning (02) 4980 0255.