Working with us
Change your outlook and join us at Port Stephens Council.
Council takes its commitment to being an employer of choice seriously. The conditions of employment we offer are far above the local government standard and are captured in our own enterprise agreement (PDF 1.7MB). This agreement strikes a balance between a flexible work environment and remuneration levels, enabling us to compete for the talent we need. In providing this balance, we:
- Focus on attracting and keeping our skilled employees
- Provide appropriate incentives and rewards for our employees
- Foster a user-friendly, flexible workplace
Council understands the importance of rewarding employees for their efforts. Our benefits are designed to take care of the whole you, keeping you healthy, be it physically, emotionally, financially or socially. Some of the great benefits we offer include:
- Competitive pay and rewards: As well as competitive salaries, plus superannuation, all positions offer a retention allowance.
- Professional development: Through educational assistance, training provision, and professional membership support.
- Employee Assistance Program: Access to a professional, confidential counselling service for you and your immediate family.
- Corporate uniform: All staff have access to a modern corporate uniform, while public employees in our customer service team will be provided with an annual corporate clothing allocation.
- Discounted corporate fitness membership: Featuring access to a broad range of gymnasiums across the Port Stephens local government area and beyond.
- Long service leave: Staff at Council qualify for long service leave after five years of service.
- Flexible working arrangements:
- Flexitime (debit and credit to normal ordinary hours of work)
- Rostered Days Off (RDO's)
- Four day weeks
- Nine day fortnights
- Job share
- Additional annual leave
- Staff may purchase up to 12 months of additional paid leave
- Community volunteer leave
- Two days paid leave per annum to volunteer in community based organisations
- Parental leave
- 12 weeks for paid leave from Council plus Federal Government Paid Parental Leave scheme
- Extended to include males if primary care giver
- Supporting parent leave of one week paid leave at time of birth - not deducted from other leave entitlements