Council no longer provides disability services from its Ngioka Centre in Nelson Bay. Please contact Endeavour Group Australia who will be able to assist you in Nelson Bay.
Council maintains a presence at Ngioka through the management of the facility and nursery infrastructure. Native plants are grown at the site for use by Council's Park and Reserve Committees, however are not sold to the general public anymore.
Ngioka provides a comfortable, safe and friendly atmosphere for all that attend the centre. Our volunteering opportunities include:
Horticulture/Gardening - assist the team with a range of horticultural duties:
- assist with inspecting plants for pests and diseases;
- assist with applying fertilizers;
- assisting with the propagation of selected plants from cuttings and seeds;
- assisting with monitoring and reporting stock levels, labeling new and existing stock; and
- assisting move/rotate plant stock into igloo and shade house, hard stand and plant sale benches.
Garden Maintenance - assist the team with a range of outdoor maintenance duties:
- assisting with the moving of plant stock;
- weeding of path, gardens and plant stock;
- general pruning of shrubs and vegetation;
- mulching of gardens;
- sweeping pathways;
- assist and prepare plant orders; and
- assist with external facility inspections – leaking taps, irrigation repairs.
Information Flyer - Plants and Volunteering - July 2018
Plant Order Form - July 2018 (Please contact Volunteers Coordinator if you would like a Word version of the Plant Order Form)
Limited Stock List - July 2018
To make enquiries about volunteering or native plant growing at the centre please contact:
Phone: (02) 4988 0255
David Roberts - Parks Supervisor
Mobile - 0409 713 744