Council has been recycling your green waste along with food waste into compost. It is for this reason we don't need the additional bin. But Council does offer a FREE garden waste drop-off service for residents.
Materials accepted include tree pruning's, shrub pruning's, loose leaves, grass clippings etc. Remember to cover your load.
Drop off service dates each month
The drop off service will be held from 9am to 2pm:
- Karuah - 1st Sunday of the month year round - on the vacant council land next to The Karuah Centre
- Raymond Terrace - (April-September) 2nd Sunday of the month and (October-March) 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month - at the Newline Road Waste Facility (GREEN WASTE ONLY accepted at this site on this day)
- Tilligerry Peninsula - (April-September) 3rd Sunday of the month and (October-March) 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month - at the old Waste Depot at Lemon Tree Passage, Lemon Tree Passage Road.
- Tomaree Peninsula - (April-September) 4th Sunday of the month and (October - March) 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month - at the Salamander Bay Waste Transfer Station, 4 Tarrant Road, Salamander Bay
Please note that where there are five Sunday's in a month, there will be NO drop-off service on the 5th Sunday.
Mulch is no longer available at Salamander Bay Waste Transfer Station. Recent changes to regulations requires Council to have green waste processed by an external licensed facility prior to use. We apologise for any inconvenience.
- 2018/2019 Green Waste Drop off Calendar (PDF 1.7 MB)
- Please note there is an error in the current calendar, for Sunday April 7th. There is no green waste drop off day at Raymond Terrace on this day, only at Karuah. Sunday 14th April there will be drop off day at Raymond Terrace as per the normal schedule and as well as Lemon Tree Passage a week early as there will be no drop off day on Easter Sunday.
Conditions of service
- Service is for residents and domestic ratepayers of Port Stephens only.
- Commercial operators will not be permitted to use the service for their business waste. 1 trailer load only will be accepted from residents using commercial vehicles that carry their personal waste only.
- Household quantities only accepted (Less than 1 cubic metre)
- Materials should be less than 1.5m in length.
- User shall unload their own material into a skip or truck provided and are to comply with all safety advice given by the site operator.
- Unacceptable materials include plastic bags, cardboard boxes, large stumps, timber and building waste - these materials and large quantities should be disposed of at Salamander Bay Waste Transfer Station or the Newline Road Waste Facility.
- Large loads will not be accepted at the Karuah drop off as this site is not set up for loading of large quantities of green waste.