If you are a homeowner or you're thinking about renovating, it's important to be aware of asbestos. The handling and removal of asbestos is a regulated activity and must be carried out in accordance with certain guidelines.
Before commencing any building or renovating around the home, it's a good idea to seek out accurate information about asbestos. We recommend the use of a licensed asbestos removal contractor to test, handle and remove all asbestos-based building materials. Special precautions should always be taken, even for minor renovation works that don't require Council approval.
To find out more visit:
- Asbestos Awareness for information on how to safely manage asbestos in and around the home.
- SafeWork NSW for information on asbestos safety at work and home, how to dispose of it safely and help to find a licensed asbestos removalist.
Disposing of asbestos
Building products that contain asbestos are required to be disposed of at a licensed waste facility.
The dumping of asbestos in any place that is not licensed to receive asbestos waste is an offence that carries a penalty of up to $5000 under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997.
Newline Road Waste Facility at Raymond Terrace is operated by SUEZ and is the only licensed facility in Port Stephens that accepts asbestos waste. The hours of operation are:
- Monday to Friday, 6am to 4:30pm
- Saturday 8am to 3:30pm
Requirements for bonded asbestos material:
- If possible, please phone in advance to notify SUEZ
- Please arrive prior to 3pm weekdays or 2pm on Saturday
- Must double wrap material in black plastic, minimum 200-micron thickness
- Must be in reasonably sized pieces that are able to be unloaded by the customer (no forklift available)
- Cash payments not accepted (credit card is preferred)
- Enclosed footwear is required
For more information about SUEZ's acceptance of asbestos please call their Customer Service Centre on 02 4983 4100.
Enquiries and more information
For enquiries and more information about the safe handling and disposal of asbestos, or approval requirements for demolition, redevelopment and building construction, call us on 02 4988 0285.