COVID-19 community support
Our community is again feeling the impacts of COVID-19. We're working with our community sector partners to make sure people in Port Stephens are getting the support they need during this difficult time.
We've also pulled together a list of useful support services across a range of areas below. There is help out there — we encourage you to reach out if you need it.
Local support services
Given these fast changing times, it’s likely that this service provision will change. We are regularly checking in with service providers and keeping information as up to date as possible.
- Services: Youth
- Details: Offering phone and online appointments
- Contact: Maitland 02 4931 1000 or Newcastle 02 4929 4201
- Services: Youth
- Details: Visit the website to book an appointment
- Contact: 0490 716 265
Meals on Wheels
- Details: Operating as normal, staff filling volunteer roles
- Contact: Integrated Living — 1300 782 896 or firstname.lastname@example.org
DARA Meal Home Delivery
- Details: Free weekly meal home delivery for anyone in need of food support will recommence in February. DARA Community Kitchens at Raymond Terrace and Nelson Bay are closed.
- Contact: Register at dara.org.au/home-delivery or call 02 4979 1339.
- Details: Payment support plans for COVID-affected residents and businesses
Port Stephens Family and Neighbourhood Services
- Details: Number for groups are limited — phone to book in
- Contact: 02 4987 4674 for Raymond Terrace or 02 4984 5298 for Mallabula
- Visit Port Stephens Family and Neighbourhood Services on Facebook for up to date information.
Tomaree Neighbourhood Centre
- Details: Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 3pm
- Contact: 02 4984 6220
- Details: Rough sleeper support — free accommodation, 24 hour support line
- Contact: 1800 718 207
Interrelate — Newcastle
- Services: Relationship services, counselling, family support
- Contact: 1300 473 528
The Salvation Army
- Details: Not currently taking donations.
- Emergency welfare assistance over the phone, vouchers being posted out.
- Contact: 1300 371 288
St Vincent De Paul
- Details: Food, fuel, clothing, household goods and expenses emergency support.
- Contact: 02 4981 4835 — Nelson Bay area servicing up to Anna Bay.
- Contact: 02 4961 6885 — for those West of Anna Bay. Someone should get back to you the next working day.
Disability Services Australia
- Details: Open to provide essential care functions with COVID Safe plans in place
- Contact: 1300 372 121 or email@example.com
- Please phone or email to book in for appointments
- For anyone at risk of homelessness or requiring assistance with services, call 02 9722 4300 and dial option 4 from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
- Contact: 02 9722 4300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Repairs: 02 9727 0688 or email email@example.com
- After hours and weekends: Link2Home on 1800 152 152
- Services: Housing, counselling or assistance related to domestic violence or care packs
- Details: Open Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4pm
- Contact: 02 4984 2176 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Worimi Local Aboriginal Land Council
- Details: Open with COVID Safe plans in place
- Contact: 02 4033 8800
Karuah Local Aboriginal Land Council
- Details: Providing support for Karuah LALC members.
- Contact: 02 4997 5750 or email@example.com
National support and resources
- Details: 24 hour crisis support chat (phone, webchat and text)
- Resources for mental health and wellbeing
- Contact: 13 11 14
Suicide call back service
- Details: Phone and online counselling for anyone who is suicidal or concerned about someone
- Contact: 1300 659 467
- Details: Online and phone counselling
- Kid friendly online tools for coping
- Contact: 1800 551 800
Domestic Violence Line
- Details: Phone crisis counselling and referral service for women
- Contact: 1800 65 64 63
- Details: LGBTI peer support and referral
- Webchat and phone
- Contact: 1800 184 527
- Details: FriendLine is for anyone who needs to reconnect or just wants a chat.
- Webchat and phone
- Contact: 1800 424 287
Emergency Food Relief
- Details: Door to door delivery of non-perishable food boxes
- Contact: 13 77 88
Step 1: Call 13 77 88 (Services NSW)
Step 2: Select Option 1
Step 3: Select Option 5
Step 4: Hold for operator
Step 5: Advise operator that you need food support as you are having to isolate due to COVID-19
Step 6: You will be transferred to the correct Department
Step 7: You will then be able to register to receive food support and be advised of next steps
- Details: Pharmacy home deliver service for vulnerable groups
- Contact: Call your local pharmacy and ask
- Details: Up-to-date information for NDIS recipients
- Easy to read resources
- Contact: 1800 800 110
- Services: Community sector support
- Details: Online resources available for community organisations
Information for older Australians
- Details: Online resource for older Australians, their family and friends